Recommended Safety Practices for All Workers
Whether you operate heavy equipment or use handheld tools, when you work outdoors you work around power lines. Use these tips to stay safe:
- Be aware of power lines at your job site.
- Call your underground utility locator service or 811 well in advance of digging or moving earth in any way.
- Stay at least 10 feet away from overhead power lines carrying up to 50 kV.
- Cranes and derricks: Keep equipment at least 20 feet away if line voltage is unknown.
- Use a dedicated spotter when operating heavy equipment.
- Do not try to guide a load and be a spotter at the same time.
- Know what to do if your equipment contacts a power line.
To report emergency situations, call 911 and the local electric utility immediately.